Today, in the era of Windows 10, most users are switching their Operating Systems to it. But, some of them are not doing so. The reason behind not switching the OS may be as they are quite comfortable in the Windows 8.1 environment or they are waiting to check the stability of the new OS or both. So, keeping those users in mind, I am describing some useful Windows 8.1 tricks which every windows 8.1 users should know. If this ring bells in you then you should definitely read this.
Make the Hidden Administrative Tools Visible in the App Window
The Administrative tools of Windows is a bunch of utility tools that are useful for performing some important utility tasks. This bundle includes some system tools such as task scheduler, event viewer, memory diagnostic, defragment and optimized, etc. On the earlier version of Windows, we could have found these utility tools either from applications or from the control panel or from both.
But in Windows 8.1, finding the Administrative tool is quite tricky. By default, Microsoft kept this thing hidden from its users. However, by applying the following simple steps you will be able to unhide the Administrative Tool’s components on the App Window of your start menu.
- Open the Start Menu by pressing Windows key.
- Press “Windows+I” keys together to open the settings charm bar.
- Now, click on Tiles
- Now, turn on the “Show Administrative Tools” option.
Now, open the App Window and you will see all the system tools lying there.
Configure Smart Search-Bing integration
Windows 8.1 comes with a search feature called Smart Search. The search feature is integrated with Bing. When you conduct a search in smart search, it sends all your query to the Microsoft, even your local queries. So, if you are the person who doesn’t want to share everything with Microsoft, then you should know how to stop the Smart Search from sending your personal data to Microsoft. Here is why I am listing this trick.
- Move to desktop and press the “Windows + I” keys together to open the settings charm bar.
- Then, click on the “Change PC settings” from it.
- Click on the “Search and Apps” and then click on the “Search” from the sidebar.
- In this option you will see “Use Bing to search online”, now change the slider under the section “get search suggestions and web results from Bing” from “ON” to “OFF”.
If you want to keep Bing as your default search engine but don’t want to share your personal information with Microsoft then you may choose the “Search Experience” options and select its value to “Don’t get personalized”. This may probably reduce the amount of information Microsoft stores about you.
Monitor your disk spaces – which kind of files using how much amount of disk space
Today, every Android user is capable of monitoring their device’s disk space through its storage settings. However, Windows is not left far behind. Windows 8.1 let you monitor your disk space but, you have to open the appropriate page for the utmost result. For doing so, follow the following steps.
- Come to your Desktop and press “Windows+I” keys together to open the settings charm bar.
- Move to the bottom of the charm bar and click on the “Change PC Settings”.
- Now, select “PC and Devices” and then select “Disk Space”. You may have to wait for a while as windows will calculate your disk space.
- In this Window, you will see “See my app size” and “Media and Files”.
- To view your application list click on the “See My App Sizes”. Windows will show you the list of all your installed Apps. You may uninstall any app by selecting the app and clicking the “Uninstall” button thereafter.
- To view the media files such as videos, song or pictures click on the “Media and Files” option. But, deletion of any files is not allowed in this page, you have to do it from elsewhere like the file explorer.
Disabling Automatic Update of Windows Store Apps
Most of we download windows store apps for various purposes but do you know that Windows 8.1 automatically downloads and installs updates without giving you a notification? Do you like automatic updates? If yes, then you may skip this one but, if you don’t want automatic updates like me then follow the following steps to disable it.
- Open Windows Store
- Press “Windows + I” to open settings
- Select “App Updates”
- Under “App Updates” select “Automatically Updates my App” and move the slider to “No”.
Hopefully, the above-described Windows 8.1 tricks will help you to maneuver your Windows in a more efficient manner. If you stumble upon, feel free to ask us, we will be happy to help you. If you find these tricks helpful then share it with your dearest one.